Dave Parker "Letters Home"

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Dave Parker "Letters Home"

Postby Jim Sheppard » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 pm

AT the last reunion, Dave Parker's sister Nona gave me copies of all the letters he wrote home before he was KIA on January 31, 1968. Those of you who served in Delta Company might enjoy reading the compilation of these letters I just added to the website. The link is on his memorial page.

http://www.ichiban1.org/pdf/Memorial/ParkerLetters.pdf
Jim Sheppard

Re: Dave Parker "Letters Home"

Postby mick hawkins » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 am

Wow Jim great reading. Brings back a lot of memories. I enjoyed were Dave wrote about shooting the BB guns off the ship . We had four great Sgts in George Bell, James O'Connor, Dan Higgins and Larry Curtis.
Higgins and Curtis purchased BB guns and we practice shooting without aiming both Higgins and Curtis had been to Vietnam before so their training was well taken. I remember Larry telling us to aim low as most people will shoot high at night and when shooting from the hip I never did shoot from the hip .
I know Nona and Dave was very close so neat she would share these letters and hope to see her at the reunion again.

Harley Mick Hawkins
mick hawkins
Silver poster

Postby mick hawkins » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:23 pm

The man Dave is talking about our first wound by a artillery round getting blown was Larry Ashlock. Ronnie Overcasher was the man getting a recorder and tape from his girl friend and the song playing was Mr. Lonely by Bobby Vinton with her talking to Ronnie about how she missed him a real tear jerker for sure. Dave Parker and John Holstrom came to fort hood to us from Davy Crocket .

Mick Hawkins
mick hawkins
Silver poster

Postby joshuahayes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:30 am

Jim Sheppard wrote:AT the last reunion, Dave Parker's sister Nona gave me copies of all the letters he wrote home before he was KIA on January 31, 1968. Those of you who served in Delta Company might enjoy reading the compilation of these letters I just added to the website. The link is on his memorial page.

http://www.ichiban1.org/pdf/Memorial/ParkerLetters.pdf

A great read indeed! Thanks for sharing.
joshuahayes
New poster

Return to Public Forum