Memorial Case

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Memorial Case

Postby Deb » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi there. I posted here a long time ago and found some people who knew my Uncle, James Rylee. I have put together this memorial case with his medals and the flag off of his casket (see below). For on the other side of the picture I was thinking maybe I should put a patch or a pair of jump wings or something. Unfortunately I do not have his. I was wondering if you might be able to tell me what the jump wings should look like (I've seen different kinds) or an appropriate patch to display? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

PS - Oh, we also figured out that the flag was folded wrong and the stars should be in front. We're working on fixing that! We're a little afraid to unfold it lol.
Attachments
case.jpg
case.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
Deb
New poster

Re: Memorial Case

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:25 am

Deb,

Airborne Jump WIngs:

On the date your uncle was killed, our unit was with the 173rd Airborne Brigade. Patch shown below:

I believe the flag is simply placed wrong in the box. You should be able to take it out...turn it over...and the stars should be on the other side. If not, a little research on the Internet or a trip to your local VFW and they can show you how to fold it properly.

I will be doing a memorial page for your uncle sometime this year. I am going through the alphabet...and am currently almost done the "b"s....so it will be a while before I get to Rylee...but you will be able to see all his ribbons and other awards that we know of on his page.

Thanks for posting this!
Jim Sheppard

Postby Russ Roth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:02 am

Jim,

I think it's folded wrong. It appears to me you can see stars just peeking out of the inner folds which would mean they would not be on the other side. :cry: :cry: :(

RR
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Deb » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks so much guys! I will see if I can track down the proper patch or a pair of jump wings for his case. I am going to ask my Aunts to do another check of their houses too to make sure we don't have his :( We lost a lot of pictures and mementos when my Grandmom passed away and then my Aunt had a lot of things destroyed in a fire. I'm not sure if his things were divided up so everyone could have something or what the deal was but I am trying to put them all back together.

Yes the stars are just peeking out from inside the fold, it's stripes on the entire outside both sides. I left the case with my Mom & Dad when I was in for my Christmas visit (I live out of town) and we did talk about going to the VFW to get it folded right. For now we just unzipped it out of the plastic cover and placed it in the case until we can get it refolded.

Thanks Jim I look forward to seeing it!
Deb
New poster

Postby Deb » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:04 am

I see a pair of jump wings just like the ones above with a star on the parachute for a combat jump, would these also be correct?
Deb
New poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 pm

He would have been qualified for the Basic Parachutist Badge as shown above. This "Assuming" he went to jump school and was Airborne Qualified. (Qualifications below)

(Basic) Parachutist Badge
To be eligible for award of the basic Parachutist Badge, an individual must have satisfactorily completed the prescribed proficiency tests while assigned or attached to an airborne unit or the Airborne Department of the Infantry School, or have participated in at least one combat parachute jump as follows:

1.A member of an organized force carrying out an assigned tactical mission for which the unit was credited with an airborne assault landing by the theater commander.
2.While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force.
3.While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

Those badges with "stars" are for Senior and Master Parachutists:

Senior Parachutist Badge
To be eligible for the Senior Parachutist Badge, an individual must have been rated excellent in character and efficiency and have met the following requirements:

1.Participated in a minimum of 30 jumps including fifteen jumps with combat equipment to consist of normal TOE equipment including individual weapon carried in combat whether the jump was in actual or simulated combat. In cases of simulated combat the equipment will include water, rations (actual or dummy), ammunition (actual or dummy), and other essential items necessary to sustain an individual in combat. Two night jumps must also be made during the hours of darkness (regardless of time of day with respect to sunset) one of which will be as jumpmaster of a stick. In addition, two mass tactical jumps which culminate in an airborne assault problem with either a unit equivalent to a battalion or larger; a separate company battery; or an organic staff of regimental size or larger. The soldier must fill a position commensurate with his or her rank or grade during the problem.
2.Either graduated from the Jumpmaster Course of the Airborne Department of the Infantry School or the Jumpmaster School of a separate airborne battalion or larger airborne unit, or infantry divisions and separate infantry brigades containing organic airborne elements, including the U.S. Army Alaska Jumpmaster Course or served as jumpmaster on one or more combat jumps or as a jumpmaster on 15 noncombat jumps.
3.Have served on jump status with an airborne unit or other organizations authorized parachutists for a total of at least 24 months.

Master Parachutist Badge
To be eligible for the Master Parachutist Badge, an individual must have been rated excellent in character and efficiency and have met the following requirements:

1.Participated in a minimum of 65 jumps including twenty-five jumps with combat equipment to consist of normal TOE equipment, including individual weapon carried by the individual in combat whether the jump was in actual or simulated combat. In cases of simulated combat the equipment will include water rations (actual or dummy), ammunition (actual or dummy), and other essential items necessary to sustain an individual in combat. Four night jumps must also be made during the hours of darkness, one as jumpmaster of a stick. Five mass tactical jumps must be made which culminate in an airborne assault problem with a unit equivalent to a battalion or larger; a separate company/battery; or an organic staff of regimental size or larger. The individual must fill a position commensurate with their rank or grade during the problem.
2.Either graduated from the Jumpmaster Course of the Airborne Department of the Infantry School or the Jumpmaster School of a separate airborne battalion or larger airborne unit, or infantry divisions and separate infantry brigades containing organic airborne elements, including the U.S. Army Alaska Jumpmaster Course, or served as jumpmaster on one or more combat jumps or as jumpmaster on 33 noncombat jumps.
3.Have served on jump status with an airborne unit or other organization authorized parachutists for a total of 36 months (may be non-consecutive).
The 25 combat equipment jumps you need for the Master Parachutist Badge must be from a Static Line.

There is the VERY REMOTE possibility he might have qualified for a bronze star-device for a combat jump....but as far as I know, these were not done in our unit.

Combat Parachutist

Master Combat Parachutist Badge with 3 service starsSoldiers who complete airborne jumps into combat zones can wear the appropriate-level Parachutist Badge (Basic, Senior, or Master) with a bronze Combat Jump device (service star) for each jump, up to the authorized maximum of five (a single gold star).[2] These stars are commonly referred to as "Mustard Stains".

The Combat Parachutist Badge did not gain official (army-wide) approval until after the 1983 invasion of Grenada (Operation Urgent Fury).

You must remember that the 1st Battalion, 50th Infantry was a Mechanized ""Leg" unit and not Airborne qualified "per se". We were attached to the 173rd Airborne Brigade in combat, but not a part of the Brigade as it was formed. Individuals from the 1/50th ARE qualified to wear the unit shoulder patch as an "elected" combat shoulder patch if assigned to the 50th while we were attached to the 173rd, but this "attachment" did NOT qualify any of us to automatically wear "Jump WIngs". I hope I haven't confused you.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum