Agent Orange and Prostate Cancer

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Agent Orange and Prostate Cancer

Postby Harry Wilson » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:01 pm

From Harry Wilson: Earlier this last week, I underwent a medical procedure that I would normally keep private and not discuss. But because the medical condition – prostate cancer – is unusually prevalent among Vietnam veterans, I thought I would be public among my friends in the 1/50th Infantry Association. Let me be quite explicit about facts that I did not know until quite recently. Numerous well documented and peer reviewed medical studies have shown that Vietnam Veterans who have been exposed to Agent Orange are at a significantly higher risk of contracting prostate cancer, a higher risk of contracting one of the aggressive prostate cancers, and a higher risk of re-contracting an aggressive form the disease after initial treatment. The VA now accepts this data and may pay a small benefit as well as some of the treatment costs.
Attached is a hyperlink to a medical journal describing one such recent study (2009 Medical College of Georgia) https://my.mcg.edu/portal/page/portal/News/archive/2009/Agent%20Orange%20exposure%20increases%20veterans'%20risk%20of%20aggressive
One of the authors of this study, published in the British Journal of Urology, warns that Vietnam Veterans need to be aware of these facts in their medical planning. Prostate cancer is the leading cancer among men in the US and trails only lung cancer in deaths.
Let me be clear about something else. If you served with the 1/50th in Vietnam, you almost certainly had some exposure to Agent Orange. Dick Guthrie reports on direct knowledge that the outside perimeter of LZ Uplift was sprayed with Agent Orange. It was also sprayed in the An Khe and Mang Yang passess. Jim Sheppard reports that VA maps show that the stuff was used virtually everywhere.
I would those urge all of you to learn about this and educate your doctors. I think my family doctor did not know. My urologist, a professor of medicine, did. Take care of yourselves, guys. If you are diagnosed with protate cancer, even at low levels, as I was, this data is very important to the many choices you will have to make about treatment. For what it is worth, I chose surgical removal of the organ. Others may wish other choices. And have yourselves checked for PSA levels in your bloodwork as frequently as your doc recommends.

[url][/url]
Harry Wilson
Bronze poster

Re: Agent Orange and Prostate Cancer

Postby bbontemps » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Harry,

Thanks for sharing this information. In your opinion, is it worthwhile to file for a disability through the VA? Take care, brother. Go CARDS!
bbontemps
Bronze poster

Postby Harry Wilson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Bill, I will probably file with the VA. I don't know the amount yet, but am told is is smallish. But, maybe it pays for a fishing trip.
Harry Wilson
Bronze poster

Postby Glen Nicholls » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Bill,
I would recommend highly, filing a claim. After avoiding the VA at all costs, I began having psychological symptoms, after 911. The VA originally thought my anger outbursts, were of bipolar origin, but because I was a grunt, gave me an initial diagnosis of an anxiety disorder. As I worsened, and after a 7 week PTSD "camp" (June07) at the Denver VA, it became apparent that I was "classic" PTSD, and they are re-viewing my original "comp" of 50%

When I first filed, in 04, it was just anxiety, and Tinitis (ringing in the ears), which they denied - saying it was as likely as not caused after Vietnam. That is now under review, because of the times we were 'blown up", and having been a driver on the APC (with the .50 just 18 inches from my right ear). I have several other issues, which you could care less about, however the reason I am writing you is that you may be surprised by what they come up with.

My "issues" should have been "slam dunk", since I had an Infantry MOS (11Bravo), however with all the Govt. budget cuts, the VA most likely has orders to limit the claims allowed, and they just hope we will go away, or die? Since I became embroiled in the system, I have some advice for you.

Before you file a claim, you should read up on all the Vietnam issues. Second, you should, obtain a "legal" advocate. It could be a lawyer, a DAV rep, Amer Legion rep, PVA rep, or even VVOA rep. All are free, and they know the system. You need to pass it by anyone from your local VET Center, as they usually know who the dedicated reps are, and those that are just passing time.

Thirdly, after they deny you, which they "always do" the first go-round, you should file reviews, or appeals, until they are sick of you, and realize you will not go away. If you would like I can share a group of legal experts, (Woods & Woods) from Ohio, I think. They are the best at expediting claims, and only take a 20% cut of your original award.

One of the pleasant surprises was that the back sprain I incurred, jumping out of the helicopter, as it took off from a hot LZ, where the SRAP platoon was about to do a "smoke investigation" - has now become DDD (degenerative disk disease) and since it happened in Vietnam, it is clearly service connected.

I know you came on quite a few of our ambushes, so you may remember this combat assault (Nov-Dec 68. It was notable, because we uncovered an NVA regimental base camp "auditorium" in the triple canopy, which had black boards, flip charts, two food lines (rice for 700+ with Nuc Mam-fish stew?). One of your pictures was of our "overnight camping trip" near the Mang Yang pass, which was notorious for the agent orange defoliant use, as well as at our "strong points". Your picture of us breaking camp, in the early dawn (not much light) had Roger "Reb" Williams, on the left, taking a leak.

You may not realize this statistic, but 50% of Vietnam, combat vets, now have Type II Diabetes. There are quite a laundry list of diseases, COPD from breathing the crap, Irratible Bowel Syndrome from the intestinal parasites, hearing loss, various cancers Prostate, Lung, Liver, Colon, etc. all of which are "presumptive" and will be covered if you were in combat.

The Vet Centers, have several small free paperbacks, on how to file, and what have you got to lose?

Maybe you remember "hanging out" with John Smerdon, Rick Hambley (FO), and I the day went up to the fire base on top of Hong Kong Mountain (inside Camp Radcliff, Ahn Khe), to visit with the artillery guys, and to try to photograph the center courtyard of the Nurses quarters, where they sun bathed?

I went by "Nick", and we used my "Win the Peeps" jeep, while I was with S-5 Civil Affairs/Psyops. I know you must remember the jeep, you took several 8 X 10's with me "broadcasting" to a little Vietnamese girl.

My mobile # is (303) 888 8108, and home # (303) 955 2609, if you want the lawyer's #, or i if you just want to talk.

Nick out, (Glen Nicholls) glennicholls@earthlink.net - Play the Game
Glen Nicholls
New poster

Return to Public Forum