Norm Poage in Intensive Care

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Norm Poage in Intensive Care

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 am

I received word from Norm Poage's wife, Christine, that Norm is in the Intensive Care Unit of Centenial Medical Center, Frisco, TX. If anyone close to Norm did not receive a note from Christine, please contact me privately & I will give you her phone number.

Pictured here while he was the Squad Leader for the 1st Squad, 3rd Platoon, Charlie Company is Norm Poage. Norm was severely wounded and lost an arm after receiving a Battlefield Commission to 2LT.

In the past half dozen years, Norm has suffered from a long list of ailments...not the least of which were attributable to the effects of exposure to Agent Orange. Several years ago, Norm had the pleasure of watching his son graduate from Infantry Training with the 50th Infantry at fort Benning!

If Norm should pass...I plan to travel to Texas for his funeral...as I suspect will Harry Wilson?

Your prayers are in order for this Charter Member of our Association, former Vice President & the originator of the Assocaition Website. Without Norm and Ken Riley, we would likely never have had our Association.
Jim Sheppard

Re: Norm Poage in Intensive Care "UPDATE"

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 am

Norm's internal bleeding has stopped (Spleen...Harry Wilson believes this is related to his "Bouncing Betty" wound from April of 1968). According to Norm's wife, he now has a 30% chance of survival. He was to be moved to a VA Hospital...but the bed was taken...so he remains (for now) at Centenial in Frisco, TX.
Jim Sheppard

Norm Improving!

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:13 pm

I received this note from his wife this morning:

"He woke up this morning at 4 AM and told me in a deep whisper that he was hungry. Weak and wide awake. He enjoyed jello and was satisfied to wait until breakfast. He ate all of a regular diabetic diet and enjoyed it. He could not remember where I worked but will have more time to think now that he is completely off all sedatives and pain medications. Much to weak to feed himself or walk or turn over in bed. He will start on Physical Therapy today.

Thank you for all of your prayers and support through this critical time in his life. God has given us much comfort in knowing he has been in your prayers. I don't know how long he will be at Centennial Hospital as the word was the VA would send for him as soon as a bed came available.
He is still requiring his blood levels drawn to assure he will get the needed medications and blood or blood products to sustain him. It is our request that you pray he can be stable enough to remove his spleen and regain his strength so he can return home again.

He would appreciate visitors between 3-6 PM and after 8 PM. As he will be needing to do PT and also rest. Family are the exception to this rule.

Any contributions to a Carter Blood Bank would be appreciative in his name.
Thank you,
Christine Poage"
Jim Sheppard

Re: Norm Poage At Home

Postby Jim Sheppard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 am

Harry Wilson informs me that Norn Poage is at home and doing well. They spoke recently. Harry may stop and see Norm on his way to the reunion.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum