2d Bn (M) 50th Inf

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

2d Bn (M) 50th Inf

Postby Die Schneider-Hector » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Greetings my name is Dietmar Schneider-Hector. I was roaming the internet and decided to check out the 50th Inf and came across the 1/50 Inf site. A bit of history. I was an llB and assigned to HHC 2(M)50 Inf from Jan 67 to Jun 67 at Ft. Hood. The unit was a spit and polish unit meaning that any time there happened to be a parade on post we seemed to be part of it. No better way to spend Saturdays. Some of you might recall that mid 67 was a very busy year at Ft. Hood. Some time in Mar/Apr I was sent to Ft. Lee for unit armorer school and after my return the rumors were flying about a new brigade forming on post, it turned out to be the 198th LIB as well as a sister bn the 1/50th. Many of the original 1/50 members had been reassigned from 2/50. I saw many of my friends depart and I thought I had dodged that bullet. Shortly afterwards, because of the SMOS 76K armorer tag, I received orders for B or C Co 9th Support Bn which was part of the 198th LIB. By the 1st part of Aug I became excess so I hurridley ran back to 2/50 and they agreed to bring me back. The army moved faster than I. Feeling confindent that I would shortly be reassigned to my old unit I was informed that orders had been cut, while I was making my arrangements, assigning me to the 1/6 inf 198th LIB. I recall as my 1/50th friends left Ft Hood for RVN. We left about a week or so later and became part of the Americal Division. I remained in 1/6 Inf until I ETSd in May 69. I always had great memories of the preRVN days during my stint in the 2/50. As a 17 year old it was a great learning environment about basic army stuff and always learning how to Play the Game. I have lost touch or memory not cooperating about many of my 2/50th friends who were drafted into the 1/50 but I certainly will never forget their faces. Your 1/50th Inf site has given me pleasant memories and I commend the forum for a fantastic site. Best Wishes to all of you. All replies are welcomed.
Die Schneider-Hector
New poster

Re: 2d Bn (M) 50th Inf

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:19 am

Bill Moore transferred to us from the 2/50th right before we shipped over. I had thought that the 2nd Bn was in the 1st AD...but found out from Bill that they were, in fact, also 2nd AD. Here's a link to the page I created based on notes from former 2nd Bn, 50th Inf Men and a few other sources: http://www.ichiban1.org/html/2nd_battalion.htm
Jim Sheppard

Postby Die Schneider-Hector » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Mr. Sheppard thanks for the quick reply. Yes I forgot to mention that the 2/50th was in the 2d Armored Division. I checked out the information you provided and noted the 2/50th history in the 60s doesn't exist. If I recall most of the 198th inf units were pulled out of the 1st Armored Division. Best wishes.
Die Schneider-Hector
New poster

Postby wfm7 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:47 am

Jim - The company I was with in the 2/50th was manned almost entirely of returning members of the 25th Inf. Div. who were running out the clock on their remaining enlistments. A great bunch of guys who did all they could to prepare me for my tour. Sadly, all that remain are photos of nameless faces.
wfm7
Steel poster

Return to Public Forum