Return to Vietnam - 2015

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Return to Vietnam - 2015

Postby Jim Sheppard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:00 am

For those interested, a return visit to Vietnam is in the planning stage...with a tentative date sometime during January of 2015. Our Vice President, Robert Melendez is coordinating the planned trip & your's truly is planning on going. I was all set to go in 2001 and had to pull out when I lost my job. I am looking forward to visiting a peaceful country with a whole new generation that has never known war.
Jim Sheppard

Re: Return to Vietnam - 2015

Postby Turk » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Hey Jim,

I trust you will find Vietnam different than when we were there especially the people as they love Americans. You guys really need to consider making this trip. I hope to make my first trip in 2014.

I’m director of a ministry that that funds development type projects to the poor in SEA and West Africa. We’ve completed a number clean water, medical and educational projects in the old Uplift, Bong Son and AnKhe areas. Maybe you guys could carry a few of the Sawyer water filters they are small and light weight and save us the cost of airfreight? They produce 99.9999% clean water and we’ve completed a project in two villages south west of Da Nang with tribal peoples and in two villages in the Mekong Delta?

Have a good day.

Terry Goodwin, Bravo Company
Turk
New poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:29 pm

I don't believe we will be in those areas. I think we will be in Saigon initially and then Binh Dinh Province...but as far as I know, no itinerary has been set.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Jim Sheppard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Just spoke to Jimmy Segars...who is putting his name on the list to go with us. He will be in touch with Robert Melendez.....who is the "ringleader" of the trip.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Harry Wilson » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm

If you are getting out of the cities, take a topo map, especially in Binh Dinh. You might try to interview COL Binh Ba Loc in Qui Nhon. If you do, get a translator. The roads are chaotic (center lines mean nothing), so I also recommend a driver/guide. You might read what Dick Guthrie and others, including myself, have written about it. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, and the food is excellent.
Harry Wilson
Bronze poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Harry,

You may recall Robert Melendez accompanied Dick on his second trip. I understand we are using the same folks for all the arrangements.

Go Cardinals!
Jim Sheppard

Postby gquint113 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:57 pm

As I recall you'd best take a good raincoat that time of year...

Should be a great time regardless...

Q
gquint113
Bronze poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Ah..the mighty Q is wrong! the three most dry months in southern Vietnam are January, February and March. "Google it"
Jim Sheppard

Postby Jim Sheppard » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:45 am

Robert Melendez has supplied the following information on another thread. I am re-posting it here:

1968doc wrote:Guys:

For those of you who were at the Reunion earlier this year in April, you'll recall that there was some talk of a return trip to Vietnam. Well, that's what I'd like to talk about. I've done some preliminary inquiries with a Tour Company,
a Tour Guide as well as advice and suggestions from Dick G., Dave Gallo and others. The details listed below are intended to be a sketch only as any final details can be decided upon much later.

That said, let me just ask if you have ever thought of returning, then we'd love to have you on the trip. I think the trip can be soothing and theraputic if the Veteran begins with that type of frame of mind. Please contact Dick G., Toby M.,
Russ R., J. Noble, D. Sourwine. Sam Luna (Houston) went several years ago and found it extremely helpful in his healing process.

I'm asking that those of you interested to think about it. Actually committing to the trip comes much later. I'd just like to get a preliminary number of those interested.

DATE: Jan. 2015 (2nd half of the month).
DAYS: 12-14 Days.
DEPART: LAX.
RETURN: LAX.
SITES: Land in Hanoi and Depart from Saigon.
SITES: Bong Son Plain,Bong Son Bridges, An Bao, Tam Quan, 505 & 506 Valleys, LZ Uplift, LZ English, LZ Litts, Phu My, Dam Tra O Lake, the Beach Area, An Khe, Highway 19, Mang Yang Pass.
SITES: Other sites can include: sites around Hanoi, Da Nang, My Lai, Quang Ngai, sites around Saigon and Cu Chi Tunnels.

Please think about it and contact (on the Board or privately) me if you are interested. But please do talk with some of those members who have made the trip. It is an amazing, emotional and unforgettable trip;
it's a trip to a country of such beauty and friendly people. The children are a special delight.

More information will be sent in the near future...

Thanks, Robert M.
19binhdinh68@gmail.com
(512) 863-4078 Home
(512) 848-5251 Mobile
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum