John E. Moody, Sr.

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

John E. Moody, Sr.

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Those of you who attended the 2009 reunion will remember the Moody family attending activities for the day of the Wreath Laying. The patriarch of the family, John E. Moody, Sr. was the father of our John E. Moody, Jr., KIA while with Charlie Company in 1970: http://www.ichiban1.org/pdf/Memorial/Moody.pdf Also in attendance were several other family members (See Reunion Page Photo): http://www.ichiban1.org/html/Reunion2009pages/pages/2009reunion41c.htm

Tonight I received the sad news that Mr. Moody passed away on March 5th of this year. His sister sent this note and I am hoping some of you might be able to help her find some of these men, None of the names listed have been in touch with the Association as far as I can tell...Frenchy may have something on this?...since our Moody was an LZ Betty era guy, but with "C" Company:

My name is Alice Womble (Shorty's) brother. I met you at the reunion at Ft. Benning along with my sisters and my Dad. My Dad passed away March 5th. Last week in cleaning out his house we found Shorty's personal belongings sent back from Vietnam. In the trunk was lots of pictures of his platoon buddies, places in Vietnam and pictures of his base on Whiskey Mountain. He had written the names of some of his buddies on the back of some pictures. I would like to talk to some of them if you could help me find them if still living. Some names are Joe Darden, John Jordison, Larry Carter, someone whose last name was Jones, Wagner, and Rucker. If you can find addresses of these men or their telephone number I would appreciate it so much. I hope you are doing well and I am so glad I got to meet you at the reunion. My address is 220 Tranquility Lane, Knightdale, NC 27545. E-mail is alicewomble@yahoo.com.

The obituary for John E. Moody, Sr. is below:

John Ernest Moody
Mar. 5, 2014
Wise, NC

John Ernest Moody, age 92, died Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Rex Healthcare in Raleigh. He is preceded in death by his parents, John Wesley Moody and Margaret Elizabeth Kinker, his wives, Geneva May Moody and Catherine Brummitt Moody, sons, John Moody, Jr., James E. Moody, step-daughter, Ola Mae Grissom, brothers, Prince and George Moody and sister, Ruby M. Hite.

Mr. Moody was a member of Warren Plains Baptist Church, Hawtree Fire Department and Disabled American Veterans. He was retired from the Warren County School Bus Garage and was a US Army Veteran of WWII.

Rev. Matt Love will conduct funeral services at 4:00 PM on Sunday March 9, 2014 at Warren Plains Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Greenwood Cemetery in Macon, NC.

Mr. Moody is survived by three children: Elizabeth M. Smiley of Norlina, Janet Joyner of Siler City and Alice Womble of Knightdale; One step-daughter, Catherine S. Upton of Boydton, VA; Three Brothers: Al Moody of South Hill, VA, E. B. Moody of Kenbridge, VA and Harvey Moody of White Plains, VA.; Two sisters, Margaret Baisy of New Market, VA and Rose Ferguson of Clemons, NC; ten grandchildren, fifteen great grandchildren and 8 great-great grandchildren.

The family will receive friends on Saturday, March 8th from 6 - 8:00 PM at Blaylock Funeral Home.
Jim Sheppard

Re: John E. Moody, Sr.

Postby jrdacus@att.net » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 pm

JR Dacus 22 squad/Charlie company 1st 50th I was on the july operations where Johnny was killed I walked the ground where it happened I met with the Moody family along with one of my former LT. Ron Lerras my phone number is 901 494 8010 JR Dacus I live in tn. I am very sorry to hear about the passig of your father my father died in 1964 It was a great loss to me 50 years ago,if you would like to call me you can I didn't know any of the men listed I was in another platoon
jrdacus@att.net
New poster

Return to Public Forum