remembering Green and Powell

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

remembering Green and Powell

Postby christenson1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:48 pm

June 17, 1970 is the date we lost Sgt Green and Pfc Powell in what the Army called an accident, claiming they tripped their own mechanical ambush which I still don't believe but I still think of them and remember this date.
christenson1
Iron poster

Re: remembering Green and Powell

Postby pt9243 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Don't know what happened in this particular case but unfortunately some of us were witness to many incidents which caused serious injury and in some cases death. Tired men carrying all kinds of weapons stomping around in the bush not just during daylight but at night was very conducive to injuries. Friendly fire also caused us much heartache. Surviving a tour in the woods without serious injury was indeed a challenge.

Pete Tovar
pt9243
Silver poster

Re: remembering Green and Powell

Postby christenson1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:44 pm

With the training we had and the caution we had in setting up and taking down mechanical ambushes I can not believe it was an accidental detonation. We would never approach a site on a trail only approach it to the battery site in order to safely disarm the mechanical ambush. Sgt Green knew the procedures and therefore it would seem to me that the site was tampered with. That is just my feelings on the matter and yes accidents and friendly fire did happen as I am living proof of an accident causing my being medevac'd out of Vietnam. But I will always remember those who gave their all including Green and Powell.
christenson1
Iron poster

Return to Public Forum