JEEP

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

JEEP

Postby harley hawkins » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Randy Smith will confirm this story

The pic on the reunion page of myself and a jeep was taken because it reminded me of a mission I was on in Nam.

It was a very dark night and a heavy rain had set in. Myself along with members of our squad was on a mission in Vietnam during a heavy rain storm. It was going to be a very wet and muddy trip back to company location when out of the blue a officer offer his jeep with a canvas top for a dry ride back to the company location.

This was in 1967 and way before the T.V. show Mash even thought of the jeep episode.

Randy you and Larry coming down this spring?

Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Re: JEEP

Postby Jim Sheppard » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Jim Sheppard

Postby b21m5048 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:28 pm

had an original 67 jeep. I sold it to My Legion Post
b21m5048
New poster

Postby Randy Smith » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Oh yeah right, an officer just offered you his jeep. That is not how I remember it. As memory serves me you were just drunk enough to steal a Colonel's jeep and Sgt. Ward had a fit when you showed up in the staging area with it. Seems to me he told you to take it back where you found it and you started out to do just that but being drunk and all you slid off the road and hung it up. Now it is not easy to hang up a jeep but you managed. So you just left it there and walked back with the Colonel not knowing who took his jeep. You told Sgt. Ward you had taken care of everything and in a sense I guess you had because where you left the jeep was far enough from the 1/50th area that the blame could not be accurately placed. Although the T V show **MASH** did use the same stolen jeep story for Hawkeye's arrival I think that the statute of limitations has expired for a civil lawsuit to be effective. Of course you could check with Harry Wilson on that. Incidentally I would like to deny any involvement or knowledge of the aforementioned actions.

As for coming down this spring, I am not sure the general populace of the immediate area would be willing to put up with us again but if they are agreeable and if Larry can make it I would very much like a return tour. I will have to contact Larry and we will get back with you Mick.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby harley hawkins » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:27 pm

I like my version of the story better but have to admit as I age I can't remember things just as they might have been . Oh yes people have been asking me if you all were coming down . We might try some cat fishing this time.

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby Randy Smith » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 pm

OK that does it, I am out. That is just plain mean and inhuman. I may have been willing to go coyote fishing or wild boar fishing maybe even raccoon or possum fishing but definitely not cat fishing. I like cats and have some of my own around. I have heard of hombres drowning cats but I want no part of it. Now crappies and bass and bluegills I'm alright with but lets stay with scales and forget about furry critters. :mrgreen:
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Return to Public Forum