May 5, 2016

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

May 5, 2016

Postby gquint113 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:08 pm

Harry Wilson and I will be meeting for our annual May 5 luncheon at noon on Thursday May 5, 2016 at Helen Fitzgeralds, 3650 S. lindbergh Blvd., St.Louis MO... Any and all are most welcome to join us to honor and in rememberance of those lost and wounded on that date in 1968... Please respond via this post or e-mail to: gquint113@sbcglobal.net
gquint113
Bronze poster

Re: May 5, 2016

Postby harley hawkins » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:26 am

Gary you and Harry have a good one. Randy Smith, Larry Curtis, Toby Milroy and Danny Scott will be at my place in May and we will be thinking of you guys. I was in basic with A company before moving to hq and had a lot of friends there. Jim Ferguson being one of them .

Take care my friend

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby gquint113 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:17 pm

A great luncheon at Helen Fitzgerald's to honor the memories of those lost and injured on 5May68.
22 soles (Infantry, Armor and Aviation) entered eternity on 5-6May68
Harry Wilson, Toby Jordan, (the three Hoosier Amigos) John Topper, Randy Smith and Toby Milroy, Bill Bontemps and Myself in attendance. Spoke with Jay Copley, Dick Guthrie and Jim Hattersley by phone.
My wife and brother and Toby Jordan's wife and Son were also able to attend.

Looking forward to next year.

Q
gquint113
Bronze poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Thu May 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Photo supplied by Harry Wilson, Description on previous post by Gary Quint.
Jim Sheppard

Postby bbontemps » Fri May 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Harry,

Thanks for inviting me to yesterday's lunch. It was great meeting everyone, talking to Jay, and on my drive home, feeling a sense of closure. For the past 48 years, every May 5 has gone by for me, reliving those experiences by myself, when no one else I was around had any idea.

Today I had a staff meeting here at work. For those who don't know, we have programs here at Goodwill in Peoria to help veterans get jobs and reintegrate back into society. So today I wanted to tell my staff about yesterday, with the idea that we all need to be sensitive when we meet new veterans. I often wonder when a new veteran walks into our program, if maybe that particular day is his May 5.

As many times as I have told my story over and over, to myself, often when I cannot sleep, it just wouldn't come out today. But I know my staff, and they are good at reading the faces of veterans when they come through our door. And we're here to help them. I guess that is what I like about my job, helping men and women who have given part of their lives for our freedom.

To all of you in 1/50th, and especially to those of you who made it through 5/5/68, Thank You For Your Service and Welcome Home!

God's Blessing to you.

Have a great weekend.

Bill
bbontemps
Bronze poster

Postby Bob Bihari » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 am

Thanks gentlemen for remembering this day. It just so happens that my Mother-in-Law passed away on May 1st, and we had to transport her to Pennsylvania to bury her on the 5th, so it was a sad day all around.

I still find it difficult to think of that day, all we saw, and the men we lost... but life goes on....

"Play the Game" Brothers....
A Company '68. WIA An Bao

Bob Bihari
Bronze poster

Return to Public Forum