Found on DD214

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Found on DD214

Postby maupow » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:00 am

My dad sent me his DD214 a long time ago after the VA rated him 100% disabled due to his PTSD. I then qualified to go to school.

I am not a trained reader of DD214s and so I never closely examined it. My understanding, as the female child of a Vietnam veteran whose beloved dad always tried to protect her, was that he was 173rd Abn Bde. And so I had the blue patch with the wing and sword for a long time.

I lost him on Saturday, May 4th at 5:38am. I held his hand before he died and said "I love you." His last words were to me and he said "I love you" though he was almost entirely unable to speak as his organs shut down. His war is finally over.

And now I try to gather about me as many of his things as I can.

I read the DD214.

LAST DUTY ASSIGNMENT - MAJOR COMMAND
C A 1st BN 50th INF IFFV
APO 96317 USARV

Now I know why that tiny Play The Game crest pin that he found at an airshow when I was little excited him so much and what it means. He wore it for many years on his hat.

He was also acquainted with Lorenzo Richard Pettis. I remember him mentioning Pettis's name. The memorial page you keep to him helped me piece together a little bit of my father's history.

Thank you for reading my story. If anyone remembers my dad, I would be delighted to hear from you.

RIP James L. Mausser
29 JANUARY 1948 - 4 MARCH 2017
VIETNAM WAR 10APR68 - 14JAN70
maupow
New poster

Re: Found on DD214

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:44 pm

I would like to add an obituary for your father on our 50th Infantry website. Please contact Jim Sheppard: kiss-ac@juno.com or 609-226-6380 (Pacific Time).

Thank you and please accept my condolences on the loss of your father.

Please post an e-mail address for those who might want to respond.
Jim Sheppard

Re: Found on DD214

Postby maupow » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:16 am

Thank you so much for offering to add my dad to the Obit page. I have sent you a private email.

Others can reach me at kittyloaf@yahoo.com. I am hoping that there might be someone out there who served with my dad or knew him and would be willing to contact me as well. He also had a friend named Mark Rabbit (Rabbitt?) with whom he was close and who served with him. Mark tried to call my dad at the hospice but was unable to speak with my dad, since my dad was unfortunately very ill and could not talk on the phone. So Mark never got a chance to say goodbye. If anyone knows Mark, feel free to forward him my email as I unfortunately did not think to get his contact information while I was at the hospice.

Thank you!
Amanda H.
maupow
New poster

Return to Public Forum