Reunion Schedule

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Reunion Schedule

Postby Joe Mlinac » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Looking over the Reunion "info" ,I find I am not being informeed. In order to book a flight I would like to optimize the time in Ga.,but do not get this data when I look at the Registration Form.Shall I plan to arrive Tuesday A.M./P.M.or will Wed Morning be OK to maximize my 'reunion time', and What day do I book a flight out?? This is being handled way too much like a military function instead of like a social affair.I've been to a few reunions and almost know what to expect but you will certainly not attract first time attendees with so much up in the air. The Comittee has become so complaciant that this is just an event for those in the clique because they've been there before? It is hard enough to coerce those who are not "boat people" since they feel left out to start,but explaining where the registration fee along with travel expense and time away from home are major factors that might be expanded on.
I've searched the Veterans mags(VFW,Am Legion,MOPH,Am vets etc for anouncements ,which are free to list ) and have not seen anything. By this point those registared were listed to encourage other to sign on ,but am not seeing this rallying feature.Disappointed for the rescheduling from May,I hope this is happening. the web site is no longer user friendly.There is no reason for this kind of stress.
Please send me some good news,thanks.

Play the Game
Joe Mlinac
Joe Mlinac
Iron poster

Re: Reunion Schedule

Postby mill » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Joe usually you try to be at the hotel the day of the reception night and then leave on the last day of the reunion or the next day whichever. But usually not much going on ,on the last day after the banquet. To all the old guys out there if this isn't right make a reply. I'm sorry to say tho at this time my wife and I will not be attending this year.
Neeil Miller
mill
New poster

Postby RJ_Smith » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Joe / Jim -- if I can add something to the main site to help clarify info let me know. A link to a printable PDF document might be the best thing.

I can also make a Reunion Details post here and "sticky" it so it stays at the top of the forum for the next couple months.

About the user-friendliness of the site, one of these days I'd like to do a *major* overhaul of the whole thing. Not re-doing all the content, but all the menus and navigation. Right now the site's just a massive, huge pile of HTML pages with no "automated" way to add links or menus to any page. There's no Microsoft Frontpage or Dreamweaver "project" that keeps it all together either. It's kind of a house of cards, but Jim's been the main man keeping it up-to-date!
RJ_Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Joe,

Sounds like you had a hard time adjusting to the new board...and took it out on everything else that's been "bugging" you!

I'm looking forward to seeing you this trip....missed you last time!

I haven't posted the detailed itinerary since there are still several events that are not "firm". The basics are listed on the registration form...and I will admit...they don't say much about what happens when...as far as registration, etc. Registration is Tuesday...as it has been for the past several reunions...from Noon to 6 PM. There will be a reception in the hospitality room at 6 PM. The actual events start Wednesday. You can come any day you wish, but most arrive on Tuesday and get settled in. Wednesday first thing will be the Association Meeting (9:30 to 10:30). The rest of the day Wednesday will be spent visiting the new Infantry Museum...with a catered lunch there. Wednesday evening is the BarBQ with the Battalion Staff at Uchee Creek. Thursday morning will be the wreathe laying ceremony at Treadwell Barracks & the rest of the day's activities are yet to be determined. As someone else stated, Thursday Night is the Banquet...as always...and Friday will be a Graduation...but we are uncertain about this event at this time.

I take exception to the remark about being a gathering for "boat people only" and suggest maybe you are just sounding off a bit more than you really feel at heart. You know there has been a larger and larger showing from our many members from the 2nd and 3rd years with each passing reunion. Heck...our Association VP was one of the last men wounded in 1970.

As for the website being hard to navigate...I have done the best I can with limited skills. Maybe you weren't around a few years back for those 8 months when our last webmaster went "south" on us and we could get absolutely nothing done.

I've tried to improve things where I could.

My ultimate wish is to be your historian. It has NOT always been fun being mediator to all the tiffs and objections involved with running the website. I've only been working the website to keep it going. without the site...we would likely fade away.

I plan to eventually get myself some formal training in "Dreamweaver" and be able to more adequately administer the site...only since there seems to be no-one else with the skills...except RJ.

Finally, I hope you will give the new board a chance. Once you get the hang of it...it IS much improved...and much easier to see if there has been a response to an older message. ALSO...we were faced with periodically LOOSING all the posts on the old style board. It's "technology"...and we all have our bad days with it! FOR SURE...there are days when I want to throw my computers out the window!...but I get past it.

As most of you know...I am also in the middle of a million changes in my life...moving..and getting married. The moving part is a mess...and taking up a three week chunk of time that I should be dedicating to our mailing list to all our KIA friends and family. Sorry if I have left much "to do" with the site as a result. As soon as the events for the reunion have been confirmed, I will list the entire itinerary.
Jim Sheppard

Postby wfm7 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:16 am

Jim,
As one who watches, but rarely contributes, I would like you to know that I have monitored the evolution of the site over many years and am amazed at how far it has come. Thank-you for all your hard work, I've seen few better.
wfm7
Steel poster

Postby Randy Smith » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Joe when we get to the reunion you may have to point out some of the non" boat people " so I'll know who is who. While it is true that I know personally the men I served with in Delta Co. it is also true that men from other companys were less known to me until the reunions made it possible to get to know these brothers. For instance, until the reunions I didn't know Jim Shephard and it must have been the fourth or fifth reunion before I found out that Roger Burch was not a "boat people". I couldn't tell you who are and are not. No matter when we served we are all brothers of the finest battalion (in my opinion) the U.S. Army ever fielded and I know that the reunions have been the very best therapy for me. I have many close personal friends that I would not have had if not for the reunions. I am saddened to read that one of those friends, Neil Miller and his wife Carolyn, will be unable to attend this time and want to say that they will be missed. Looking forward to seeing you this spring Joe as well as all our other brothers. Let the healing continue and health, happiness, and honor to all. Randy "DOC" Smith.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Several of you posted responses to this blog without realizing it is from 2009. It was "brought forward" when a "Spammer" used it to post & subsequently Randy Smith posted...thinking the blog was new.

Long story short, the Spammer has been banned and his post removed...but I thought I would take Joe's complaint a little more to heart & I Posted a new "tentative" reunion itinerary to the reunions page with times and events. Some are pretty well set...such as Registration. John Topper has informed me that, as I have indicated, all but a few events are set. Of course, the schedule will be fine tuned and finalized by reunion time.

Here's a link to the new schedule:

http://www.ichiban1.org/pdf/2015ReunionEvents.pdf
Jim Sheppard

Postby Randy Smith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Hey Jim,
Whaddaumean thought it was new, heck I'm just that far behind. OK, you got me, I didn't notice the date but I checked out the schedule posting and it looks great. That part at the end of each evening containing the cigars,BS, and beverages, well I'm not too much for cigars and beverages but big on the BS. :lol: Jay sent me a Christmas card and said he is looking forward to us setting up the BSP again, OOPS I mean the CP where we can enjoy all three. Looking forward to the reunion friend. See you all there.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Russ Roth » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks to you and all the others that work so hard for us. Unfortunately my son and his wife did not do very good pre-planning and they are due for twin boys in that time frame. Since it is twins doc says they could come early so lets hope so.

RR
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby harley hawkins » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Russ buddy hope you make it to the reunion but baby's are first .

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby Russ Roth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks Mick. I just got off the phone with Robert and let him know and he said same. If I'm lucky they could come early. I'm really hoping everything goes well as it is not uncommon for one twin to not make it or have a very tough time surviving. That happened years ago to my brother and his wife. Boy/girl and Joseph only lived several weeks. Was very hard on them and my son is so looking forward to this I don't want him and Kelli to deal with something like that. Kelli------not so much as they already have two others. :o :D
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Randy Smith » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Russ we are hoping and praying that all goes very well for the infants, parents, and grandparents when the time comes and we also would like the time to be such that you will be able to attend the reunion. If you are unable to be there in body we know you will be there in spirit. I think I can speak for nearly all,if not all brothers, in wishing the very best outcome for you and your family. STILL--- we sure wanna see ya if possible bro. Your fellow medic and forever friend, Randy.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Russ Roth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks Randy. I did text my son the other day with my displeasure at such poor planning. :D I need to clarify what he meant as he said the event was planned for April 20 at this point. It seems he mentioned the last time anymore kids she had would be by C-section. If that is the case and all goes well I should be good for the reunion. But as I said I need to see if I am understanding correctly. I couldn't chat more because he was on the road.
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby harley hawkins » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Great news Russ Hope you make it and have baby pictures. How is Robert doing? Randy I hope you and Toby are coming. I think Larry and Jean will be there .Take care guys and see you at Benning

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby Randy Smith » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 pm

I sure like the sounds of that Russ and we will keep hoping for the best as you play it by ear. Mick I will bring Toby if I have to tie him to the back bumper ala Chevy Chase in National Lampoon Vacation. Poor little dog. Anyway he is planning to come. Hope everyone can make it as it is the only time I get to see some of our brothers and time is getting so precious.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby tomndianm2 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Hey Randy. Diana and I are looking forward to the Reunion and the great time that we all enjoy together. Diana is looking forward to hanging out at the CP and having a few Medics drinks that was created last reunion. The time we spend at the reunion might seem a little hecktic to some, but it has alot of meaning and is very theraputic for alot of us. At the last Reunion seeing Keith LaRue and Rich (Grizz) Roeder was fantastic for be because it was 1968 when I last seen them both across the pond. Looking forward to seeing everyone again, We might come down Monday instead and be ready to see everyone early and help if needed. See you all soon.
tomndianm2
Iron poster

Postby Russ Roth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:25 am

I sent Chris text earlier today to make sure I was thinking right but no answer yet. Robert seems well but I was not able to chat long since I was just walking out the door to haul our twins to BB practice. Tom, what part of the world was your Rich (Grizz) Roeder from? Reason I ask is it is bit different name and I went to high school with one and worked with his brother some in the Fire Bureau. Can't imagine it would be the same since way back then I couldn't see a nickname Grizz but who knows.

RR
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Randy Smith » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Hey Tom good to hear from you. I'll bring the list for the CP supplies and be sure to have enough Medics Alcohol mixed up for the group. See you and Diana there if the creek don't rise.
Russ I hope Robert is able to make it to the reunion has he given any indication? Haven't seen where he has been posting. Wishing him the best.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Russ Roth » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:56 am

Robert doesn't check here often. He does plan to attend.

RR
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Randy Smith » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Great news, I'm looking forward to seeing Robert even if he is ugly and obnoxious and scary too--I forgot scary. He always gives you that sideways grin that lets you know he is thinking something that isn't good. :D I'm glad he is well enough to plan to attend.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Next

Return to Public Forum