MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

Postby Randy Smith » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:47 pm

In 1967 some unscrupulous characters hi-jacked a load of egg nog off a truck supposedly headed for some high ranking officers party somewhere in the Binh Dinh Province. I happened to be at the battalion aid station at the time and became the recipient of a quart of that egg nog. I climbed up on a high point and sat on some sand bags and watched a Huey in the distance firing mini guns with all tracer rounds and marveled at how the tracers made a laser like line arcing all the way to the ground. Remember how the the trail of tracers seemed to bend with the flight of the Hueys. Anyway it seemed as though I was watching a Christmas light show as I sat there drinking that egg nog. Well every year since then I have gone off by myself during the Holidays with some egg nog (plain-no alcohol just like 1967) and reflected on that time and those people I shared that time with. I am having a glass of egg nog now and although I will go off by myself later I just wanted to share part of this with all my brothers of the 1/50th. I love you guys and wish you the Merriest Christmas and Happiest New Year ever. May GOD bless you all and keep you safe, healthy, and happy. Randy "Doc" Smith
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Randy!

Thanks for sharing that tradition! Just so you know...those gatling guns did NOT fire all tracers...it just appeared that way. The tracers were every 5th round...so you can imagin how devastating the fire-power was on those things! I hope you enjoy your egg-nog!
Jim Sheppard

Postby pt9243 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:45 am

Love it, Randy. Happy holidays to all and hope to see y'all soon.

Pete
pt9243
Silver poster

Postby bbontemps » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks for sharing, Doc.

Christmas blessings from Peoria, Illinois.
bbontemps
Bronze poster

Postby Randy Smith » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:26 am

Here it is Christmas 2014 and I am having my traditional eggnog toast to my brothers. Some long gone, some not so long gone, and those still here,to all I raise my glass in respect and admiration. The eggnog tonight doesn't seem to be as sweet as that of 1967 but then I guess that when things come easy they are sometimes taken for granted. God bless all my brothers and best wishes to all. Randy"DOC"Smith.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Return to Public Forum