Jim Sheppard selling Chicago Condo

For off-topic discussions, posts, and other random topics.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Jim Sheppard selling Chicago Condo

Postby Jim Sheppard » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Anyone in the market for a small condo in the Lakeview section of Chicago, be in touch with me (Jim Sheppard). This condo is in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Chicago...just two short blocks from the lake and Lakeshore Drive...walking distance to dozens of great restuarants! We boight this for my wife's step-daughter...who promptly decided she wanted to move back home!

Here's a link to the property info.

http://tours32.vht.com/JRI/T390437909/nobranding

As a "rule"...we have not allowed outside advertizing on our site...however, I can see no harm in listing things such as this any of our paid mambership wishes to post...selling your home, boat, car or that Harley you bpought thinking you were still 18!?

If anyone can argue against this, please do so & I can take this down if your argument is valid.
Jim Sheppard

Re: Jim Sheppard selling Chicago Condo

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:21 pm

The link I originally provided only gives images....here is the complete listing for the property.

http://www.estately.com/listings/info/512-west-barry-avenue--13

If you go to this page....scroll down to the map image and "zoom out"....you will see how close this is to the lake and Lakeshore Drive. It is also one block from a main drag that features restuarants and popular nightclubs. It's a "young professional" (20s & 30s) crowd neighborhood...but I did not feel "out of place" at 66 years young. The food in these nearby establishments is excellent! Everything is convenient...on the nearest corner there is a CVS Drugstore and a 24 hr 7-11. Parking space is not included...but there is likely one for sale. Going rate for a parking space (basement level of the Condo) a year ago was 15,000 to 20,000. We "opted not to buy" as we only visited occasionally and Ruth's daughter (who actually lived here) did not own a car. Public parking is available in several nearby locations but is expensive (short term)...more reasonable monthly. We did not check these rates for long term as we only visited for short periods.

The Condo is convenient to public transportation (Buses 1 block El 3 blocks)
Jim Sheppard

Postby Randy Smith » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 am

Jim I can see no reason whatsoever why anyone would object to your posting. I certainly feel as though this is what the off-topic section was put in for--anything off-topic from usual Association postings and to be a benefit to the users. I wish you good luck and hope someone needs a condo there. Randy.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone. The Condo sold. We took a slight loss, but since we couldn't really it out (Association limits in contract) it was useless to us as an investment after our daughter moved out. Most of our "Chicago" connections are moving anyway...so we will have little call to visit in the future. I loved Chicago & the lake & all the good eating establishments in our old neighborhood....but we are destined to move to southern California in 2 or 3 years...which would put us even farther away from any property in Chicago.

We will be "house-hunting" in the vicinity of San Diego...anywhere from there up through Carlsbad on the coast and/or inland in the LA area in Claremont. A realistic target would be sometime around 2016 when the youngest graduates from College in Boston, but it could be sooner.

There is a slight possibility we may move to the Charlotte or Atlanta area in the interim...but right now that's a long shot.

In any event, only a few more cold winters for me! I am in the planning stages for a month or two rental in the lower Florida Keys each winter beginning in 2013. Will likely be down there after the spring reunion checking possibilities. I am looking forward to hauling my boat down there and fishing the keys in those colder months. It gets somewhat chilly down there in the deep winter...but it will still feel like spring to this "snow-bunny" northerner!
Jim Sheppard

Postby harley hawkins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Jim

My sons father-in-law lives in Key West or he flys from Tampa to key west he owns two homes in Key West in which he sometimes rents one out.
He is a developer and if he didn't have something you liked he could get you to a person that would.

If you like I would get his phone number for you.

Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:01 am

Sounds like a good lead Mick...I will talk to you at the reunion....since I am going down to Florida right after our gathering. Thanks Mick!
Jim Sheppard

Postby Bob Bihari » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Jim; You'll love The Keys.....I've gone up & down the length of the Keys so many times I've lost count, and no two days were ever the same . The water, sky, & conditions change constantly....and it's usually spectacular....especially on a motorcycle (or even a convertible).

San Diego is pretty nice, but you may just find you never want to leave the Conch Republic. 8-)

Have fun......
A Company '68. WIA An Bao

Bob Bihari
Bronze poster

Return to Off-Topic