deer hunting

For off-topic discussions, posts, and other random topics.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

deer hunting

Postby Randy Smith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:51 pm

Well the 2014 deer season has come and gone here in Indiana so I will report the lackluster results now. My 91 year old father managed to shoot a buck from his condo deer stand down in the bottoms of our hunting lodge property. The buck made a quick getaway and we didn't find it until later. The coyotes are so bad here that all that was left was the rack, head, neck, and back bone. I managed to take a large doe for jerky but never had a large buck opportunity. The weather was so wet that most of our bottoms hunting was under water most of the season and we had to hunt the high ground which is not as good. Having my father to hunt with made the season a great success no matter the outcome. The quality time spent together in the condo stand in the bottoms and the ground blind stand on the high ground was as they say in the commercials "priceless"! I hope every one's season was as good as mine.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Re: deer hunting

Postby Russ Roth » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 am

Where we hunt has been pretty poor for a number of years. My suspicion is the forest has matured over the last 50+ years I have hunted this area and is no longer (IMHO) preferred range. There has been some sporadic logging in the last 30 years and 8 or 9 years ago hit by fire right up to the edge of our camp. In fact they had run equipment right from there for part of the burn time. My thoughts are this can only help things get better. I have not applied for a number of years because of the way OR handles the tag draws. My way of showing displeasure, not that it make any real difference but it makes me feel better. :o :D

I do go out looking things over and this year we saw TONS of tracks but very few animals. Then we got enough rain to wash out the tracks and easily spot new. I go again to look around and only about 3 or 4 fresh tracks in a morning walk. Couple days later I decide to go up canyon from our camp to where I have seen mostly nothing but large bucks. Part of it had been burnt over so parts of it are cover limited for animals and for me. When I got up near the better part of it less was burnt and started seeing several sets of very nice tracks. Because of downed dry trees I snagged on a branch with my pant leg and wouldn't you know I jump an animal. It was down in the dark so could not see well enough to spot even a large set of antlers but from the size of animal and what else I could see I am guessing it was a trophy sized buck. Tracks were about as big as I have seen also.

So I think it's looking up for next season and ole double RR is thinking seriously of applying for a tag this next season. Hopefully since I'm out of state I will get one and use it successfully. :D

RR
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Randy Smith » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:30 pm

hang in there Russ and remember when that trophy walks in keep repeating under your breath-----IT'S ONLY A DEER----IT'S ONLY A DEER---and I have seen thousands before. Control your breathing and don't gasp. Don't shake and above all don't stare at that rack. This may help you but it has never done crap for me. :bang: :D
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Russ Roth » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:56 am

It has been years since I have not been applying for a tag, but I have taken a few large bucks. When I had a tag I started hunting for only trophy types. Didn't get one every year but usually had a chance in some manner. My largest one I saw early in the AM but did not take a shot because it was not good enough for me to feel comfortable with a killing hit. I spent the rest of the day looking for him and sneaked down a ridge on the way back to camp where I had missed a large bedded buck a few years before. I made my way to the end of the ridge where the bed was at. As I come to the bed about 20 feet over the edge right below me I see him staring through limbs at me! At least I think it's him. I can see almost full body and his eyes, nose and ears. Can't see horn because of the limbs but I can make out a nice grey on his nose and eye area. We are about 60 feet apart and just stare for several minutes. In that time I am telling myself to shoot low. I was using open sights and on a quick shot always seemed to hold the front post high. He finally broke and moved his head a bit and I saw movement far enough above his ears to know he was a good buck. Since I was over 2 miles from camp, very near dark and he went straight downhill I ended up spending a very cold night with him. Worth it in the end though. And of course I NEVER get the least bit nervous. After all, it's only a deer. LOL :o :D

RR
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Randy Smith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:09 pm

My Dad shot a fork horn this year but we didn't find it right away and when we did the only thing left was the rack, head, and spine. Coyotes are terrible around our deer lodge as they can retreat into the Muskatatuck National Wildlife Refuge across the road and they are home free. Reminds me of the NVA entering Cambodia or Laos. The hunters at the lodge can take any legal deer they want, the only rule I have is that if a deer or turkey is seen at the same time as a coyote---the coyote dies first!
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Russ Roth » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:08 pm

I used to shoot coyotes when I had chance but don't do that now. They are actually (IMHO) a very neat animal once you learn about them. Very adaptable and pretty sly.
They gotta eat too ya know. :o :( :D

RR
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Randy Smith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Like anything else, when you get an over abundance of something it is not a good thing. Out at my place they eat pretty good. They ate dad's deer, the neighbor's puppies, Fluffy my sister's cat and GOD knows how many fawns, rabbits, turkeys, etc. So----let them adapt to my 22-250 round at 3850 feet per second.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby harley hawkins » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 pm

I,m just saying if Toby Milroy was a boat person what kept him from sinking the ship or yet falling out. Hope to see you guys at Benning. Around here they catch them (coyotes) and sell them alive to dog running pens.
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby Randy Smith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Speaking of the great Toby Milroy, all future misdeeds are your fault Mick for saving him from a certain watery demise. You pulled his ample arse back in the boat at the old reservoir risking all future catastrophes to prevent that one. It may take some thinking to decide which was the right course of action. :roll: However I am happy to report that one unnamed former klutz has been on the wagon for more than 6 months now. I are proud. Maybe you saw something in him. ;)
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Return to Off-Topic