You can now file a VA Claim "On-Line"!

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

You can now file a VA Claim "On-Line"!

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:48 pm

I just finished my claim to the VA for compensation for Ischemic Heart Desease, related to Agent Orange Exposure. Although the VA has not yet set up it's benefits in this area, they have been directed to finish setting up by September 1, 2010. You can file a claim now and if succesfully awarded, the claim will be retroactive. Earliest first payment might not be until late this year or early next year....but the process of applying was a breeze! I finished the process on-line in about an hour...then spent another hour doing some descriptives that were "prompted" by the form before submission.

Of course, you can use the form to apply for other claims as well.

You have to "register"...which simply means you select a user name and password. I already had a file number from my Tinitus disability claim....so after signing up...I went right to the application form. You can stop at any point while filing out the forms and your information will be saved until you return. "Bookmark" this link to your favorites so you can return to the form and pick up where you left off.

http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp
Jim Sheppard

Re: You can now file a VA Claim "On-Line"!

Postby Bill Mims » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks Jim, Now that my malpractice claim is settled I can push disability claim. Bill out
Bill Mims
Copper poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I learned today (From the VA) that I would be awarded another 60% for my heart condition. Since this would put me at 70%(Including my existing 10% for Tinitus)....they offered that since I am retired & would be willing to state that I retired because of my Heart Ischemia, I will receive 100% disability back to the August date that I applied for my heart compensation! Wow! I have to say that, other than a trip to the local VA Hospital for an interview with a nurse-practitioner....the entire process was very stress free and uncomplicated! The VA is changing! T>he entire process from on-line application to approval took only 3 months. I am told to expect my first payment in December!

The gal I spoke with today also thanked me for my service and made me feel good about the whole process!
Jim Sheppard

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:09 pm

By the way...Although one no longer has to prove spraying of agent Orange took place in your AO...I submitted a copy of the 173rd Airborne Period History page that showed Agent Orange was sprayed around LZ Uplift in May of 1968. It was noted in my approval of benefits...so it did carry some weight. If any of you are going to be filing a claim for any Agent Orange Related ailments...contact me and I will send you a copy.
Jim Sheppard

Postby harley hawkins » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Good for you Jim. I'm so glad you don't deal with Columbia, MO. VA They are very bad . You are just a number to them they never keep an appointment always changing dates.
I just gave up on them.

mick hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby George Borges » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 am

Mick, don't give up . that's what they want you to do. Keep being a pain in the BUTT . It's taken me 10yrs. but Iam up to 80% going for 100% . just had my last C&P iF YOU NEED HELP get in touch with me. George
George Borges
Silver poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:01 am

The key was "Unemployability". If you already have over 50 % and are contemplating retirement, they will practically give you 100% if you sign a reversable statement that you are retiring because of your disabilities. I was told you could revert back to your old percentage if you had to go back to work. I learned that "Unemployability" never counts towards your "Medical" disability....so my number stays 60% as far as those on the medical side are concerned. Unemployability gives me 100% on the compensation side...which is all I really care about. I see the VA for medical purposes as little as possible. Although they are making HUGE improvements in disability claims...the health care system itself is still sub-standard...so I will hold on to whatever health Insurance I can...currently my still working wife will keep me out of VA hospitals for another ten years or so.

Remember the "unemployability" if you are contemplating retirement and starting Social Security. They literally offered this to me...("Off the record"...since they are not supposed to.)

There seems to be a real "push" on to expidite claims much faster these days. If you have not started a claim you have been thinking about...I urge you to get to it. My entire process took less than 3 months.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Jerry Cooper » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Jim, thanks for the information. I have sent you an e-mail.

Thanks again.

JC
Jerry Cooper
Iron poster

Postby rodan1152 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:12 am

If possible could you send me some imformation Agent orange and the problems it caused they put my heart problems on hold for some reason any help will be good A Company 1st 50th mech Inf 1969 till 1970
rodan1152
New poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:17 am

If they "put you on hold"...they have to tell you why...call them.
Jim Sheppard

Postby jerry couch » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Jim, do you know if this has to be filed specificly as Ischemic Heart Desease? I filed a claim on heart desease, about 4 yrs ago, after having a heart attact and they turned it down.
jerry couch
Iron poster

Postby jerry couch » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:24 pm

P.S could you also change my email to couchjl47@yahoo.com Thank You very much.
jerry couch
Iron poster

Postby RJ_Smith » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 am

jerry couch wrote:P.S could you also change my email to couchjl47@yahoo.com Thank You very much.

Email changed, Jerry. :)
RJ_Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 am

Jerry...you will have to file again. This JUST got added to the list. I'll change your e-mail address as well.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum