Letter From VA

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Letter From VA

Postby charlescarwile » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Just received a letter from VA about the case Nehmer v. U.S Department of Veterans Affairs.My brother also got same letter sent to him.I assume that my father is involved in this claim then,he passed 1999.Can anyone tell me more about this?
charlescarwile
New poster

Re: Letter From VA

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Wow!

I am no expert, but as surviving children there may be a benefit for you in this. See if you can talk to your local state or county veteran's affairs person....or contact your local DAV for help. Does the VA give you any contact information for your questions? Have a copy of your dad's DD-214. If you don't have one, it's easy for children to obtain one after their father has passed away. Be in touch and I will point you to the website where you can easily order a copy. I wouldn;t hurry if no one asks for it...and you may not need it if everything was already submitted.

For those who do not know, this gentleman is the son of a man who served with us in Vietnam. It seems our man may have filed a claim before he died in 1999.
Jim Sheppard

Postby charlescarwile » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks Jim
charlescarwile
New poster

Postby charlescarwile » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:26 pm

!!Update!!
Well Jim you were right ,all 9 of my fathers children will be awarded benefits.The money no matter what the amount is matters to us .I remember he fought so hard to get anything he could from the V.A. up until the year he passed.My father passed of a heart attack it list on his death certificates as ischemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes,and the V.A said that was all they needed to see and the dd-214 i sent them.
Charles Carwile
charlescarwile
New poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 am

Good for you...and your family! I am SO glad I urged you to look into this.

Ischemic Heart Disease and Type 2 Diabetes are on the list of Agent Orange Connected illnesses. Any Vietnam Vet and any surviving children of Vietnam Veterans who made it home and subsequently died of Agent Orange diseases are eligible for compensation. It might not be a lot of money, unless you are the Veteran...but it is something you should research if you think you qualify.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum