The walk to the museum entrance.

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

The walk to the museum entrance.

Postby dapana » Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 pm

What event it has been this week. Today at the museum top everything, for those of you that missed it you missed something special. The tears flowed. The walked to the museum today will always be remembered as special. People lined up more than ten deep clapping and cheering and applauding to welcome us is forever etched in my memory.
dapana
Iron poster

Re: The walk to the museum entrance.

Postby harley hawkins » Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 am

Greatest thing I have ever seen . This indeed was the best of the best. Going to be real hard to beat this one in two years.

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 pm

I am in Florida....winding down from our reunion. The gathering was the most hectic I have ever had. It seemed as though I could not take 5 paces without someone grabbing my arm for one thing or another. Often I found myself the central contact point for so many folks trying to find friends or anyone involved in our group...to show me old photos...to ask a question about a particular Vietnam Event.

My cell phone was ringing almost constantly as family and friends arrived during the week for our Memorial Services and Building dedications.

Too many other things happened to try to mention here...I will be posting more photos after I return from my short vacation in the sun....although I might try to get some done before I return home.

The event Mick is trying to describe happened on the last day...at the Graduation Ceremony for 3 training companies...one from the 1st of the 50th and two from the 2nd of the 19th. There must have been 3000 people in attendance for the ceremonies...and a sea of attendees gathered between our arriving buses and the Infantry Museum/Stadium parted and broke into applause as we walked between them headed for our reserved seats. A photo is shown below.

Jim Sheppard

Postby pcfrmr » Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 am

:bang: I missed the graduation and the walk to the museum. I was honored to be on an Honor Flight from Northern Colorado and have had that kind of welcome. It was moving. I talked to participants from Friday's scene. I am so glad you got to feel that. The reunion was GREAT! I do love all you guys and our gals.
GOMF, Bob W :mrgreen:
pcfrmr
Bronze poster

Postby Randy Smith » Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 am

We didn't realize that the run around we got on the buses was just a delaying tactic and that those orange pylons were to simply hold us up while all the people got in place at the museum. I was on the first bus and was with Jim Segars as we walked from the bus to the museum. We were leading the others from that first bus and I remember thinking (There is no way we can find enough room to get pictures taken of our whole group) There must have been thousands of people on the parking lot, the lawn and the museum front porch where the infantry statue was. I began to notice that the people were separating for us as we walked up and just made room for us as we reached the front of the porch.I then saw that "B" Co. 1/50th was assembled around and in front of the statue and as they came into view the people started to applaud and slap me on the back and shake my hand and they called out "WELCOME HOME" and I realized all at once that this was ALL FOR US. I got a knot in my throat that felt like a grapefruit. I couldn't talk or even swallow. My eyes teared up and got blurry and I could feel my cheeks becoming wet. I looked back and the other bus had unloaded its people and they were coming up and were receiving the same applause and attention that was closing in all around us. The freshly graduated troops of "B" Co. held their formation but offered their outstretched hands with a "WELCOME HOME SIR" from each of them. I could barely function but I shook their hands and stammered the most sincere "THANK YOU" to each of them. THANK YOU just didn't seem strong enough though. How do you give enough THANKS to people who just gave you your first WELCOME HOME and filled a 45 year old void. How do you explain that they have made you feel whole again for the first time in 45 years. Overwhelming! This reunion--- with the dedication of 7 buildings to be named after members of the 1/50th who made the ultimate sacrifice, the wreath laying for all the 1/50th personnel who have made the ultimate sacrifice, the turning blue ceremony, the graduation ceremony, the welcome home at the museum--- has been in my mind the most emotional and best reunion ever. Thank you to the magnificent slate of officers for the association and the active personnel of the 1/50th Infantry Battalion who made this happen
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Russ Roth » Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

For me this was the highlight of the reunion. I had the same lump in my throat Randy had. You fellas that left early missed the BEST of this reunion and IMHO one of the best events of any reunion thus far!

BTW Jim, I had several hours to kill Yesterday at ATL and started chatting with a fella in our age class and mentioned I had been @ Benning for our reunion. He said he had 2 tours and when I asked when and who he served with he said '67-'68 and 1st Cav. I say you probably know of our unit and when I tell him 1/50th he said he was in Charley company for about 6 months! Will post more later when I find the paper I wrote the info on.
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Russ...that was likely George Paine who sought me out in the stands as the graduation was coming to a close. He was a Platoon Leader was Charlie Company in 1969-70 and was at the Infantry Museum on other business (Did not attend the reunion). I had no idea who he was when others said he was trying to get my attention...he held up a name tag and we left the ceremony together and chatted for a while. If your man was someone else, check your notes and let me know.

Jim
Jim Sheppard

Postby Russ Roth » Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Jim,

It is a different guy who just happened to be @ ATL to pick someone up. He had no idea 1/50th was @ Benning, there was an Association, a web site or reunion. He had done internet searches but must have been some time ago as he would have no trouble finding our site now. Which he did on his phone. He seemed interested and gave his e-mail which I will PM you or anyone else who would like it.

His name is James H Crook and was with C company from Aug-Dec 8, 1968. BTW, he is a "Bama boy so not too far away.
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 pm

OK Russ. I didn't know him...since I was gone from the 50th in June (Confusion program).

He likely had not searched in a long time. I recall searching the Internet for the 50th in the mid-90s...and finding nothing. Then, in 1998, Norm Poage put up our website for the first time...and the rest is history.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Russ Roth » Thu May 09, 2013 12:38 am

I figured that was likely the case also. Google it now and nothing else comes up, at least on the first page. :o :) :D
Russ Roth
Platinum poster

Return to Public Forum