WELCOME HOME

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

WELCOME HOME

Postby Randy Smith » Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 am

We didn't realize that the run around we got on the buses was just a delaying tactic and that those orange pylons were to simply hold us up while all the people got in place at the museum. I was on the first bus and was with Jim Segars as we walked from the bus to the museum. We were leading the others from that first bus and I remember thinking (There is no way we can find enough room to get pictures taken of our whole group) There must have been thousands of people on the parking lot, the lawn and the museum front porch where the infantry statue was. I began to notice that the people were separating for us as we walked up and just made room for us as we reached the front of the porch.I then saw that "B" Co. 1/50th was assembled around and in front of the statue and as they came into view the people started to applaud and slap me on the back and shake my hand and they called out "WELCOME HOME" and I realized all at once that this was ALL FOR US. I got a knot in my throat that felt like a grapefruit. I couldn't talk or even swallow. My eyes teared up and got blurry and I could feel my cheeks becoming wet. I looked back and the other bus had unloaded its people and they were coming up and were receiving the same applause and attention that was closing in all around us. The freshly graduated troops of "B" Co. held their formation but offered their outstretched hands with a "WELCOME HOME SIR" from each of them. I could barely function but I shook their hands and stammered the most sincere "THANK YOU" to each of them. THANK YOU just didn't seem strong enough though. How do you give enough THANKS to people who just gave you your first WELCOME HOME and filled a 45 year old void. How do you explain that they have made you feel whole again for the first time in 45 years. Overwhelming! This reunion--- with the dedication of 7 buildings to be named after members of the 1/50th who made the ultimate sacrifice, the wreath laying for all the 1/50th personnel who have made the ultimate sacrifice, the turning blue ceremony, the graduation ceremony, the welcome home at the museum--- has been in my mind the most emotional and best reunion ever. Thank you to the magnificent slate of officers for the association and the active personnel of the 1/50th Infantry Battalion who made this happen
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Re: WELCOME HOME

Postby tomndianm2 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 am

Randy has said it all. It was an AWESOME feeling to walk up the path as the crowd parted ways and WELCOMED US HOME. WOW, The emotions ran high as the tears fell, and as I write this the tears still come. The staff and Col. Nelson kept a great secret for a reception that will never be forgotten, they deserved and tremendous THANK YOU again and again. This was a great reunion with a group of first timers, all the great activities and dedications that Randy explained and the long coming WELCOME HOME, Thank you also to the our association officers and commitee and all that helped for arranging our great unit reunion, Looking forward to either a get together or the next reunion in 2 years. PLAY THE GAME, Tom and Diana Clark
tomndianm2
Iron poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue May 07, 2013 12:09 pm

There are a large number of men I still cannot talk into attending our reunions. I am not going to continue to “bug” these guys like I have in the past…although I will keep those posted who are genuine with their excuses.

There is a “healing” that begins with these gatherings that is hard to describe. I personally feel the pent up emotions that have ached to be released for years are given that chance during these reunions. Men who “stuffed” things for years feel more at ease with the men who experienced the exact same battles and incidents. I witnessed more than one of the “1st timers” in or near tears…but also watched as the tears were followed by broad smiles as these men felt the burden of stuffed emotions lifted after so many years.

There is no therapy like the words of a comrade who was with you on that battlefield saying “I understand…it’s alright”…or often not even having to say a word!

I was so uplifted to have several “1st-timers” from my Charlie Company there for this one. I only wish I could have taken more time to sit and talk with them, but I was too busy. I also missed this “welcome home” greeting on the last day as I had gotten into the habit of bringing my van on all our outings in case the extra seating was needed. It turned out we really had enough room on the buses.

I have taken a silent oath that next time; I will try not to be so “busy”. I found that the “honor system” worked smoothly in my archives room…so I may leave it open longer without actually being there myself in the future. I realize now that all the men from all the “eras” in Vietnam are as close as family for me now…maybe even closer…and I miss you all so much…particularly right after these events end.

See you all in 2 years.

Remember; during the “off” years, there is a change of command in June. These are usually attended by several of the Association Officers along with a small contingent of members (usually about a dozen attendees). It gives us a chance to say “farewell” to the outgoing CO and welcome the new. If you believe, as I do, that LTC Nelson’s handling of our reunion was top-notch…why not plan on trying to attend this event next year? It is totally “un-structured” (for us) and generally just a one-night stay…so not nearly as big a "hit" on one’s budget.

Think about it…and be in touch with me next spring for details.
Jim Sheppard

Postby pcfrmr » Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

:D WELCOME HOME!!!, my friends, we did do it and were not appreciated for it. We are in a brotherhood few will ever be in.
Randy, I am so glad you got to experience that greating. Ft Benning does feel like we are home.
GOMF Bob W
pcfrmr
Bronze poster

Postby Randy Smith » Thu May 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Bob you are so right, Ft. Benning does feel like coming back home and I believe the reason why is because they consider us to be family and have always treated us as part of their family. Starting with Colonel Payne when we first went to Ft. Benning and continuing with every battalion commander through Colonel Nelson we have been treated with the utmost respect and given the best times----and they say we honor them with our association. I guess that is what makes a great deal---each side thinking they are getting the best of it. I only know that I have felt like I truly belonged always. God bless the 1/50th past, present, and future. Randy "DOC" Smith
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Return to Public Forum