Email I got.

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Email I got.

Postby sgtroc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:42 am

I got an email from a William T Ripley. He stated that he got my email address from our site. He wants to send me a some documents to make a record of my experience in RVN. Did anyone else get the same email and is this just a con job.
sgtroc
Iron poster

Re: Email I got.

Postby pt9243 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 am

Got the same request. Is this ligit?
pt9243
Silver poster

Postby Bob Bihari » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 am

I got the same email. I responded this morning that I will help out ...I guess I'll be the Guinea pig. If it turns out to be a scam or a hustle of some kind, I'll pass it on.....

Taking point. 8-)
A Company '68. WIA An Bao

Bob Bihari
Bronze poster

Postby harley hawkins » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 am

Bob I got two like that a few years ago. I just pass on these . I kind of feel bad about it but, hay! Hope yours turns out ok

mh
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Apparently, he is writing a book. I have an email out to the Association board of officers about this. I personally will not participate...as we have too many "efforts" of our own "ongoing" to support work totally outside of our group. Of course, it's a personal decision to get involved...or not.

I would caution that one has no control over the context an unknown writer will "spin" with your interview (survey) comments.

I will also add that I have turned down these requests in the past and regretted it when I witnessed an excellent publication...devoid of my personal story!

Apparently, not everyone was contacted. I received my request via our Association Treasurer and forwarded same to the board.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Lou Frisbie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:34 pm

I got that e-mail also but it went to my spam
I started to answer it but deleted it.
If Bob's sacrifice ends in a book we will all have to buy it.
Lou
Lou Frisbie
Copper poster

Postby Randy Smith » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 pm

I got the e-mail also and think I'll wait and see how Bob the guinea pig responds to us. If he asks for finacial records and social security numbers be sure and let us know Bob. :lol:
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby Bob Bihari » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 am

Jim; I got the questionnaire from William by e-mail. It looks pretty legit, the questions are mainly related to day-to-day life in the field, what kind of gear you used, rations, etc,etc.... the only personal info was Name & rank...not even addresses, other than where & when you were inducted. I guess if you had access to the right database, you COULD get personal info from that, but since even the Government can't seem to find half of my military records a majority of time, I guess it's pretty safe.

If you want me to send you a copy of the document, just pop me an e-mail & I'll send one to you ...
A Company '68. WIA An Bao

Bob Bihari
Bronze poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Bob, Of course you are an exception, but it does bother me somewhat that I am CONSTANTLY asking our membership to WRITE DOWN their remembrances and submit them to me to include where appropriate in our history files.

If you are considering helping a complete stranger...alien to the 50th Infantry...in a book effort and have never submitted your remembrances of battle to me. Shame on you!... for not participating in our proud legacy...yet being willing to participate in someone else's effort for profit.

I have finally begun putting the personal accounts that HAVE been submitted to me into loose leaf notebooks...along with Documentation and Photos for all the major contacts we had in Vietnam. I have completed Tam Quan and An Bao and am currently working on LZ Litts and others. These will be on display at our next reunion.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum